Atlassian cloud and server products both help teams achieve better collaboration and greater transparency, but it's important to recognize that they're built with different codebases, features, and benefits.
We outline some of the key differentiators between the various hosting options offered by Atlassian:
Rather than installing and maintaining Atlassian products on your own servers; Atlassian will host, set up, secure and maintain your products in the cloud for you. 90% of customers choose to start in Atlassian cloud for many of these reasons:
- Fast start-up: It's easy to set up and get started in minutes. As soon as you sign up, you can start working and inviting team members.
- Reduced costs: Save money on physical hardware, maintenance, installation and support and other hidden administration costs.
- No need to upgrade: Get immediate access to the latest and greatest features, no work required.
- Work on the go: Atlassian's cloud products enable your teams to take their work anywhere and can be accessed securely from any browser or through Atlassian cloud mobile apps.
- Security: Atlassian keeps your organization secure and compliant, with real-time security updates and rigorous practices to track and protect your information.
- Scale with confidence: In cloud, Atlassian handles the procurement of inventory and storage space so you can respond immediately to dynamic spikes in demand and team growth.
With Atlassian's self-hosted products, you install, host and run Atlassian products yourself on your own hardware. This is a path teams choose when they:
- Want advanced control: Teams who want to manage all the details may like the flexibility server offers.
- Need data locality: Customers with strict data hosting and localization requirements may choose server, although in many cases cloud is still a good option.
- Have experience with self-hosted applications: Teams who are able to handle the complexity of setting up and hosting applications on their own servers - and feel confident securing and maintaining them over time - may choose server or Data Center.
“However, Atlassian informed all its customers that as of 2 February 2021, sales of new Server licences will cease and new prices for its Server and Data Center offerings will come into effect.“
Atlassian Data Center
Think of this as server, but at scale. Data Center products provide the same functionality as server products but have additional capabilities to better serve enterprise organizations. Atlassian Data Center is a modern enterprise solution that enables customers to maintain control over their environment, helping them meet their unique security, compliance, and scale demands.
With Data Center, you can choose to either stay on-prem or start leveraging the benefits of cloud computing by deploying behind your own firewall in public cloud providers such as AWS or Azure.
Cloud and Data Center migration experts
Confidently plan and carry out your migration of Atlassian applications to the cloud. Our team of experts have years of experience dealing with IT consulting, migration consultation, and mitigating challenges that may come with implementing cloud.
Contact our team of consultants for special discounts and to start planning your migration to Atlassian Cloud.